.jpg)
Part President Obama's inauguration speech was quoted during our swearing in ceremony in recognition "that we have duties to ourselves, our nation, and the world, duties that we do not grudgingly accept but rather seize gladly, firm in the knowledge that there is nothing so satisfying to the spirit, so defining of our character, than giving our all to a difficult task." And my difficult task now begins.
It's called the hardest job you'll ever love, something about the PC experience that I will learn why as my adventure really begins. Their comes a time when most PCVs are terrified and in tears, when you are finally moved to your site and the Peace Corps car is driving off into the distance. For me, that happens in a few days. And while I was settling in and adjusting to the community where my training was held, I had the support of 28 other PCTs minutes away. Now, it is just me in my town and my nearest neighbors are anywhere from 1.5-4 hours away. Learning where things are, the food, the water, exploring the markets, everything I shared with other PCTs I now only have myself. In anticipation, my emotions about moving to my site waiver between excitement and terror; excited for what I will learn and what is to come yet terrified that my journey is so unknown.
Often, I no longer know why I joined Peace Corps. I am so wrapped up in the experience that I forget why I pursued this experience. But even on the hardest days, I have not questioned myself being here. It has never been something I grudgingly accepted, and while I don't know the road ahead, every daily challenge I overcome, every small reward satisfies my spirit when I give it all to the hardest job I assume I'll love.