I have been in Guinea now for a full day. I arrived very tired but excited and happy (thats me keeping a positive attitude). But, I also have yet to experience Guinea as I have been in the PC compound since we arrived (we have been here just under 36 hours at this point).
Their are 28 other fresh faced Peace Corps volunteer. We were an amusing site arriving in Africa, 29 "fote"(pronounced fo-tay which means white person) with an average of 3.5 bags each trying to figure out our way through Dakar, Senegal to make our connecting flight to Guinea than arriving, most of us having been awake for 30 some odd hours being greeted by PC staff and current volunteers super excited for our arrival.
The people I am with are great. Generally I'd say the PC attracts people with similar intellectual interests and curiosity of the world which to be in such a large group with people so similar is unique. What was nicest for me was to go to PA for my staging, meet everyone and finally realize that their were other people with the same interests, anxieties and excitement as myself yet we were so diverse and come from all over the U.S.
I tried posting yesterday and had put my postive thought of the day up (which was we all arrived safely with all of our stuff) when the power went out and I lost all I had written. Since than, the power has gone out 10+ times and its c'est la vie. Its amazing how quickly we adapt to new situations.
If I ever post, e-mail, write etc. about a frustrating situation, the greatest thing is I have an amazing support network in the other volunteers. Frustrations might be caused by the littlest things but accomplishments can come in the smallest things as well (not that anything has frustrated me yet but its a good heads up).