
First, important piece of information is I will not be posting most likely until Christmas when we return to Conakry from our homestays. Second, the PC compound is above which is where I have been staying since I arrived. Now you know why I don't feel like I am actually in Guinea. Third, I have links to other blogs of PCTs in my group (G17) which have more pictures than I do.
We are leaving Conakry to go to our homestays where I will fully be immersed in the culture and language. I am more excited for this because now it will really feel like I am in Guinea. Homestay is about 8-9 weeks where I live with a family and have 6-8 hours of training a day, technical, language, medical, safety and security etc. As a SED volunteer, part of my training will be working with in a group with a local business (with the assistance of my language trainers) to do some consulting work as well as a small group project involving an Income Growth Activity (IGA), which is a Trainer Directed (TD) activity. These will be my first business projects in a long time which I don't get to rely on powerpoint to present my final results but are designed to immerse me in the Guinean economic culture so I leave training not only with the technical language required to discuss feasibility studies, accounting, marketing etc. but I also leave with a good understanding of what I will be doing for the next two years. Going over everything in training, I call it my Peace Corps MBA since we do microfinance, marketing, accounting, feasibility studies, general strategy and more.
On the MBA note, a story I shared with some before I left was about a former SED volunteer who worked with a Guinean baker. The baker was losing money because his village required him to sell bread at a fixed price and he couldn't make a profit at that price. The volunteer worked with him to reduce the sizes of his loaves so they could be sold at a profit. This strategy was also employed by General Mills when they faced rising commodity prices as commodity prices increased worldwide. Two situations worlds apart that employed the same strategy to maintain an economically viable business.
It will be different outside of Conakry. The normality's of life I am used to, a flush toilet, a real shower (with hot or at least warm water because hot showers are not ideal here), etc. will not be available to me at my homestay. I will use a bucket to bathe in and I'll leave the details at that. I will be with a family who has at least one member who speaks French but no English when I speak very little French yet I will integrate into the family as best possible, trying to help with chores even when cultural differences might not find it appropriate for me to cook. Further, apparently everything I do will be hilarious. When I, 'fote' (me), does something, it is the equivalent to Funniest Home Videos, just I will be a reality version on 24/7. Don't get me wrong, as much as it will be a challenge, I am very excited for it. When you hear from me next I will have many more adventures and a much clearer picture of what John in Guinea is all about.
Au revior et bon chance.